Subject: Re: [lojban] RE: zi'o and modals

From: "Bob LeChevalier (lojbab)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 17:03:08 -0400

At 12:01 PM 06/13/2001 -0400, Robert J. Chassell wrote:
> > Because an indented volume with a cap is not the same as an indented
> > volume without a cap. The one, the `cave with a door', is a `botpi';
> > the other, the `natural cave', is a `kevna'.
>
> Then isn't the bottle by the side of the road a kevna, making this whole
> discussion of it and whether botpi fo noda is a botpi irrelevant since we
> can just call it a kevna?
>
>You could call it a kevna. Or you could use a mechanism mentioned in
>the discussion to indicate that it could have a cap and use the word
>botpi.

I want to note that, in addition to kevna. If you want to focus on its 
container nature rather than its hollowness, and not claim a cap/stopper, 
then there are also vasru and patxu. In Lojban, most things that we would 
call bottles in English are both of these. Just like people should not 
focus on the keyword "bottle" as being an exact translation of botpi, patxu 
is not necessarily limited to things we call "pots".

lojbab
--
lojbab [email-masked]
Bob LeChevalier, President, The Logical Language Group, Inc.
2904 Beau Lane, Fairfax VA 22031-1303 USA 703-385-0273
Artificial language Loglan/Lojban: http://www.lojban.org