Subject: Re: [lojban] Attitudinals

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 17:20:37 EDT

In a message dated 6/12/2001 5:20:37 PM Central Daylight Time, 
[email-masked] writes:

> You should be aware however that your apostrophes and quotes show up
> as question marks (or other wrong characters, or not at all) to those not 
> using Microsoft software. If you use Microsoft software to write text, 
> it "helpfully" inserts "smart quotes". Those quotes are only compatible 
> with Microsoft software. There should be an option to turn them off in
> whatever software you are using, alternatively you can run the text
> through the demoroniser (http://www.fourmilab.ch/webtools/demoroniser/);
> 
Thanks. I knew from others that there was a problem but could not spot it on 
my equipment, of course. I will try to correct it as soon as I can find my 
ASCII code tables.
Incidentally, the notion of a "demoroniser" is one of those things that can 
prove an eventual block to Lojban if used too publically. Like about 90% of 
computer users, I use MS stuff, swearing as the need arises (though aol is 
worse). On the other hand, I do enjoy the usual advantages of more 
professional looking typing at minimal additional cost -- and I mean I really 
enjoy it. So, I tend to think that someone who has to work extra for an 
effect handed me is the real moron. Perhaps the correct name for the program 
then is "moronizer"?