Subject: RE: [lojban] If it ain't broke, don't fix it (was an approach to attitudinals)

From: "Craig" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 19:48:13 -0400

When was the last time anyone was misunderstood about it? When such a
misunderstanding occurs as a result of people having different views on a'o,
I'll be ready to talk about it. However, UNTIL there is an actual problem
with it, I would advocate taking the book's word for it. a'o mi klama means
I hope that I come; ui mi klama means I'm glad I come. If there's something
wrong with that, and this something wrong demonstrates itself, THEN AND ONLY
THEN should we fix the problem.

-----Original Message-----
From: sentto-44114-7964-992475748-ragnarok=[email-masked]
[mailto:sentto-44114-7964-992475748-ragnarok=[email-masked]]O
n Behalf Of Robin Lee Powell
Sent: Wednesday, June 13, 2001 7:42 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [lojban] If it ain't broke, don't fix it (was an approach to
attitudinals)

On Wed, Jun 13, 2001 at 07:39:51PM -0400, Craig wrote:
> Givent that there wasn't any misunderstood comment to start this thread to
> my knowledge, how's this proposal sound?
>
> 1. We will assume that attitudinals have the meaning suggested by actual
> usage.
> 2. We will use attitudinals so that people understand what we are saying.
> 3. We will shut the hell up about our fixes to attitudinal problems until
> there is a problem to post about.

You don't think that the question of whether or not the speaker of

.a'o mi klama

is asserting that they actually will/have gone is a problem?

-Robin

--
http://www.digitalkingdom.org/~rlpowell/ BTW, I'm male, honest.
le datni cu djica le nu zifre .iku'i .oi le so'e datni cu to'e te pilno
je xlali -- RLP http://www.lojban.org/

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

To unsubscribe, send mail to [email-masked]

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.