Subject: Re: [lojban] Attitudinals

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 18:23:29 EDT

In a message dated 6/14/2001 12:46:20 AM Central Daylight Time, 
[email-masked] writes:

> > and all the rest of the useful critters an ordinary word processor
> > provides?  
> 
> Because you're not talking about an ordinary word processor, you're
> talking about proprietary bullshit.
> 

Hey, an "ordinary word processor" is a word processor ordinary people 
ordinarily use, which amounts MSWord. It does what ordinary people want it 
to do with a minimal amount of fuss (most of the time -- with glaring 
exceptions, of course). If HTML (which is inherently wrongheaded for 
ordinary people and will presumably clean up its act like every other mark-up 
language has -- or they died) is meant to be used by oridnary people, not 
merely initiates, then if will learn to do these things too -- and soon. It 
is half-way there: they can be done; it needs to go the rest of the way: in 
one or two key-strokes to show on the page and not need memorizing a table.

<Are you clear on the concept of 7-bit ASCII?  If not, I suggest you
remove yourself from this argument.

-Robin, who's been on the 'net since Gopher was king and is sick of you
whiny M$ lusers.  He's also in a bad mood.
Yep! And I am also clear that it is about as relevant to the present 
situation as the body odor of a Tyranosaurus.
I'm not whining, just reminding all you "Let's get more people into Lojban" 
types what those more people require.  
pc, who was formatting printing in Fortran 1 when Kennedy was President.

<A one character tab!  What the hell are you talking about?>
One keystroke to set in a fixed number of &nbsp;

<Because they're not quotes!!

The quotes is ".  ASCII 34.  Smart quotes are neither smart (they do
amazingly strange things if you have more than 2 of them in a sentence)
nor quotes (they're ASCII 0240 or something like that).>

Quotes are what they do. ASCII 34 is a double apostrophe, usable for quotes, 
if need be, also for seconds and Lord knows what else. ldquo and rdquo 
(8220, 8221) are specifically quotes -- not seconds, etc. and are clearly 
acceptable for printed work, as 34 barely is.