Subject: Re: [lojban] The "system" of attitudinals

From: "Bob LeChevalier (lojbab)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 08:26:23 -0400

At 03:04 PM 06/15/2001 -0400, [email-masked] wrote:
>We have two and a half choices so far, neither of which involves any change
>of grammar or vocabulary -- yet.
>1) Keep the present system but clean up the presentation and make maybe a few
>additions or modifications if clearly needed.
> Advantages: no change is almost always an advantage. a lot of
>documentation and accepted usage. easy rhetorical devices with position of 
>UI.
> Disadvantages: It is going to take a lot of rewriting, as the
>presentation so far has not dealt consistently or clearly with what have
>become the major issues. the features of major interest are currently only
>loosely connected with form, so each word has to be learned separately
>(claimed). known cases of inadequacy (a'o) not dealt with and no program for
>dealing with other cases that may be discovered. present cases limited to
>parallels with English, no allowance for new, Lojbanic, discoveries.

Option 1a)
Keep the present system with no changes. Use the language. When 
misunderstandings occur, clarify them (hopefully without rancor, and 
preferably in Lojban). Adjust usage so that it "works". 5 years from 
whenever, describe what the language has become.
Advantages: as per 1)
Disadvantages: possibilities of misunderstandings. Repeated raising of 
issues that have not been fully resolved. Possible difficulties in 
teaching, though most of the issues that come up are transparent to anyone 
with less than a year of Lojban experience (Newcomers may understand the 
arguments, but usually not the full range of tradeoffs.)

lojbab
--
lojbab [email-masked]
Bob LeChevalier, President, The Logical Language Group, Inc.
2904 Beau Lane, Fairfax VA 22031-1303 USA 703-385-0273
Artificial language Loglan/Lojban: http://www.lojban.org