Subject: dai harder (was: If it ain't broke, don't fix it (was: an approach to attitudinals)

From: Value Yourself <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 18:06:37 -0400

On Saturday 16 June 2001 09:12, Bob LeChevalier (lojbab) wrote:

> One problem is that the pe'i(dai) DOES make the bridi quite clearly
> assertive about the real world and not a hypothetical one. The only
> evidential that seems like it might not be assertive is the one of
> postulation, since one can postulate an imaginary world or some fact about
> the real world. If the sentence is an assertation by the use of pe'i then
> it cannot be merely propositional.  

I may be getting trapped in the same Englishistic artifact that provided 
us weeks of fun with djuno and its fourth place. Watch this:

"In my opinion, black is white"
(I am stating black is white; I believe & assert it.)

"In your opinion, black is white"
(I am observing your opinion; I don't necessarily agree with it, and I am not 
asserting it)

Thus, I malglicoly felt that pe'idai was less assertive than pe'i. Who wants 
to stick their foot in this?

(Whether pe'idai really means "your opinion" is the topic of a *different* 
debate.)

Thus starts a discussion over dai! I agree with your opinion that such 
discussions really should be held in Lojban, but I've been hesitant for fear 
that it will grind to a halt within days. Nevertheless:

.i fu'icu'i mi ze'epunai zgana le mu'e pilno piso'i cmavo poi selpilno mi 
.iseni'ibo le zu'o mi pilno kei ckaji le ka cipra

.i .eisai zo dai mapti ko'a goi le cinmo be fa le seltavla .i .aunairu'e zo 
dai cmavo fi le si'o cecmu cinmo kei .a le si'o le tavla cu cinmo da ki'u le 
du'u le seltavla cu cinmo da .i tu'a ko'a ku mutce le ka pilno

.i ru'a le mu'e la lojbab. tugni ru'e lu pe'idai li'u kei zo'u zo dai 
nolsatci mapti le si'o cecmu cinmo kei

.i ganai snada jarco le du'u zo dai na mapti ko'a gi ju'oru'e nitcu le cnino 
cipra cmavo poi mapti ko'a