Subject: Re: [lojban] Sentence translation

From: Pierre Abbat <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 00:35:33 -0400

On Sun, 17 Jun 2001, Rob Speer wrote:
>Well, of course, I'd argue that logical connectives would make the point quite
>clear.
>
>.i ko co'u zutse lo mi karce .ijonai mi porpi ledo stedu pi'o levi barda grana
>
>I think {co'u} applies more than {na} here, because it is quite clear that the
>listener is sitting on the car already. The tenseless "Don't be sitting on my
>car" might be a bit difficult to fulfill.
>
>The .ijonai causes the sentence to mean:
>"Stop sitting on my car and I won't crack your head open with this baseball
>bat." and
>"Keep sitting on my car and I'll crack your head open with this baseball bat."
>simultaneously. And I think the listener will be certain which one he wants to
>make true.

Not knowing the Lojban names of ball games, I'd use {bolci daxtci} for "baseball
bat", though that could just as easily be a racket. If I were to use a BAI
cmavo in that sentence, I'd use mu'inai or semu'inai (I get the two confused).

phma