Subject: Re: hexadecimal and lojban

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 07:35:59 -0000

--- In lojban@y..., Rob Speer <rob@t...> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 18, 2001 at 03:09:48AM -0000, thinkit8@l... wrote:
> > now please don't tell me dau-vai will ever be taken out. it'd be 
> > nice if they weren't relegated to look different than 0-9, which 
is a 
> > decimal bias, but it shouldn't be too much a problem. not enough 
2-
> > letter cmavo to go around anyway. by the way, i continually 
annoy 
> > all sorts of newsgroups and IRC with rantings on the evils of 
decimal.
> 
> I find Lojban's hex cmavo useful, but not for communicating in 
Lojban - rather,
> I'm trying to impress them into my brain so I can remember hex 
numbers more
> clearly, having a way to mentally recall them with a sound attached.
> 
> When setting up my sound card in Linux (before there was a real 
Linux driver
> for it), I had to remember its three
> IO addresses - 220, 240, and 2A0. I thought I had remembered these 
well enough
> that when I did it again months later, I didn't need to look for 
them in the
> manual. I dug these numbers out of my subconscious - two-twenty, 
two-forty, and
> two-ay-ee. Two-eighty. Right.
> 
> My almost-perfect memory was rewarded with a loud staticky noise 
from my
> speakers on bootup.
> 
> So I suppose the hex cmavo are useful, if only so that in future 
situations
> like that I can remember "rereno, revono, redauno" and save my 
eardrums. I
> doubt the Lojban creators intended the hex cmavo to primarily be a 
memory
> trick, though.
> -- 
> Rob Speer

dang keep replying to you. anyway, i was hoping the creators really 
made dau-vai with the hope of hexadecimal as default in the future.