Subject: Re: possible worlds

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 23:40:22 -0000

--- In lojban@y..., "A.W.T." <Ti@f...> wrote:
> Am I missing something in the Book or is the problem with possible 
worlds (i.e. the subjunctive etc. issue) still unsolved? Up to 
> the moment I'm unsatisfied with sentences like "I should have 
done...", "If I were rich..." (Se fossi ricco mi comprarei una 
villa...) 
> and the like.
> Are those venerable old gentlemen still sticking to the "dead 
language"* Loglan more aware of problems like those! Isn't e.g. the 
way 
> pointed out at "http://www.loglan.org/Articles/I-would-if-I-
could.html" a possible approach? IMHO, lojban attitudinals, 
> evidentials, discursives etc. are very good and unique lojbanic 
features, yet do not solve here. The heavy discussion on extending 
> their functional range (which I do not share) shows that there 
still is lack of things the kind mentioned above.
> 
> *) It no longer seems to be a dead language, as Loglan obviously is 
present and vivid on the net with productive essays instead of 
> whole surges of endless and boring threads most (interested!) 
people can no longer afford the time to follow.
> mi'e .aulun.

how about this? "if i were rich i'd have a house" goes to
"fau le nu mi ricfu kei mi ponse lo zdani". i don't like using the 
UI cmavo to do this either, but i think there are substitutes.