Subject: Help!! learning Lojban

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 10:06:10 -0000

Hi

Last time I posted, I tried to say something in Lojban, but it took me 
ages to work out what I was being answered. Since then, I've been 
lurking and trying to understand what you're on about ;) tough with 
over 800 posts this month!

So I set about trying to understand a text written in Lojban ("I have a 
dream" speech). Either I didn't choose the easiest one or I'm not very 
good at logical thinking or Nick is using a brand of lojban that's not 
in the book ;)

I haven't yet looked at the original, as I may not understand my 
mistakes as well if I do. Here's the Lojban text with my attempt at 
translation (sometimes real english, sometimes the I hope for the event 
of the propriety of... type). I'd really appreciate your comments and 
help.

.i mi fi do ca cusku doi pendo fe ledu'u mi mu'inai loi cazi li'i nandu 
joi se steba cu ca'o pacna da .i da mutce se jicmu le'e merko se pacna 

**I say to you, friends, that I, in spite of the present difficulties 
and frustra-tions, have a hope ; one that is based on the american 
dream

.i mi pacna lenu levi natmi baco'a virnu gi'e tarti tu'a le fatci smuni 
be leri kriselsku po'u lu mi xusra ledu'u ledi'e jetnu si'unai se jimpe 
.itu'e ro remna cu jikydunli co'a lenu ri se zbasu li'u 

**I hope the day will come when this nation is brave and behaves 
according to the actual meaning of this country's constitution - "I 
assert the fact that the fol-lowing utterance is true unaided by the 
understood thing : each human is social-ly equal from the moment of 
hisser conception"

.i mi pacna lenu vi le xunre cmama'a be la djordjas. lei se dzena be 
loi pu sel-fu se jibri ponse lei se dzena be loi pu selfu se jibri 
baco'a kasyzutla'i le kamcectamne jubme 

**I hope that the decendants of those that were owners of slaves will 
sit here on the red hills of georgia among the descendants of those who 
were slaves at a table? of cousins

.i mi pacna lenu vi le mu'a .ua la misisipis. jectypau noi pe'a tolfre 
je gla-xlafri ki'u lenu crogla fa le ka tolpajvrude je kusryjatna cu ba 
se galfi fi lo zancilmystu pe'a be leka zifre je pajvrude

**I hope for the event here the for example (discovery) the state of 
mississipi, the "unfertile and too hot experience because of the event 
of burn expected virtue and cruel captain??????

.i mi pacna lenu lemi vo panzi baco'a xabju lo jecta noi ra se pajni 
ji'u le skari be lera skapi be'o na.e le selkai be lera nuntarti 

**I hope for the event of my four children will inhabit a state, they 
are judged based on the colour of their skin not the property of their 
behaviour??? 

.i mi cabdei pacna da 

**I today have a hope 

.i mi cabdei pacna lenu le la .alybamas. jectypau noi le le ke'a turni 
ku ctebi ca pe'a cilmo leka bradi je xauprepro cu ba se galfi fi lo se 
tcini be lenu loi xekri nanla .e loi xekri nixli loi blabi nanla .e loi 
blabi nixli cu simxanjai gi'e tamne kasydzu 

**I today have a hope the state of alabama, who's governor's lip is wet 
with ad-versity and good opponents??, there will come a time when black 
boys and black girls and white boys and white girls will hold on to 
each other and sit together like cousins

.i mi pacna da 

**I have a hope

.i mi caki pacna di'e .itu'e ro ma'arbi'i ba galtu .i ro cmana ba dizlo 
.i ro rufsu tumla ba xutla .i ro korcu pluta ba sirji .i le la jegvon. 
kamymisno ba tolcanci .i ro se rectu ba simkansa viska ra 

**I now hope for the following : all valleys will be high ; all 
mountains will be low ; all rough lands will be even ; all bent roads 
will be straight. The fa-mousness of judeo christians will appear. All 
livestock will be seen to be sha-red among them.

tu'u .i la'ede'u se pacna mi'o .i le la'ede'u se krici cu ckaji mi ca 
lenu mi pu xrukla le nanmerko .i mi'o sekai le la'ede'u selkri cu pe'a 
kakpa cpacu fi le nuntolpacna cmana fe le nunpacna rokci .i mi'o sekai 
le la'ede'u selkri cu kakne gafygau fi le fanza ka lemi'o natmi cu 
nalsimsarxe kei le melbi ke jiktamne ca-bysna 

**{End marker for di'e?} This is what we hope for. This is a belief of 
mine ?the event I have returned to the south of the USA?.We, who have 
this belief must mine hte mountains of hopelessness? for the stones of 
hope. We, who have this belief are able to make a beautiful brotherhood 
type now-sound?? out of the an-noyance that our unharmonious country 
produces 

.i ca lenu mi'o gasnu lenu le kamzifre cu janbe .i ca lenu gasnu lenu 
ri janbe vi ro cmatca .e ro jectypau .e ro tcadu kei mi'o lirgau le 
djedi poi ro panzi be la jegvon. be'o noi xekri ja blabi gi'e xebro ja 
nalxebro gi'e se lijdrprotes-tante ja se lijdrkatoliko cu simxanjai ca 
ke'a gi'e sanga le slabu ke frikymerko jdaselsanga po'u lu .i co'a .u'a 
zifre .i co'a .u'a zifre .i ki'e jegvon. noi tsarai ku'o mi'a co'a .u'a 
zifre li'u

**Now, the event of we do the event of freedom is a bell??. the now 
doing of event freedom is a bell? here producing sound all villages and 
all states and all ci-ties... FUCK I've had enough!

Greg