Subject: Re: [lojban] Re: possible worlds

From: "Bob LeChevalier (lojbab)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 10:07:33 -0400

At 11:03 AM 06/22/2001 +0000, Adam Raizen wrote:
>[email-masked] wrote:
> > how about this? "if i were rich i'd have a house" goes to
> > "fau le nu mi ricfu kei mi ponse lo zdani". i don't like using the
> > UI cmavo to do this either, but i think there are substitutes.
>
>I can't bring myself to use "fau" for anything. Since "fasnu" only has
>one place, I have no idea what the relationship is supposed to be
>between things tagged with "fau" and the rest of the sentence.

What is the relationship between the event and the sentence in the English 
phrase "In the event of blah, i will do blecch". There is clearly some 
relationship between the event and the rest of the sentence, but it is 
vague what that relationship is other than the event occurring is necessary.

Thus fau associates an event with a bridi and says that its occurrence is 
in some way important to the truth of that bridi. Works rather like the 
English.

lojbab
--
lojbab [email-masked]
Bob LeChevalier, President, The Logical Language Group, Inc.
2904 Beau Lane, Fairfax VA 22031-1303 USA 703-385-0273
Artificial language Loglan/Lojban: http://www.lojban.org