Subject: Re: Help!! learning Lojban

From: "Adam Raizen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2001 20:42:44 -0000

la aulun cusku di'e

> > >Similarly, {vi} is (rather idiomatically unfortunately) the space
> > >equivalent of {ca}. So "When we make freedom toll in every town,
> > >every state and every city, we earlify the day which..."
> > 
> > The space equivalent of {ca} is {bu'u}. {vi} is the space
equivalent of {=
> zi}.
> 
> Exact - and this should have been pointed to since long, since
AFAIK {bu'u=
> } never ever appeared to be used in this sense in favour of 
> idiomatical(?) {vi}! Why?
> le mlatu cu kavbu le smacu vi le panka (which is near/close to the
park)
> le mlatu cu kavbu le smacu bu'u le panka (at/in the park)
> le mlatu cu kavbu le smacu ne'i le panka (in/at the park)

[li'o]

> Anyway, I think it often would be much more lojbanic to use {bu'u}
instead.=

Sometimes "bu'u" doesn't work so well, because the two objects aren't
coincident in space. For example, "I see someone at the door." is
probably not "mi viska da pe bu'u le vorme". Also, it seems that the
fact of coincidence in space isn't really the important part in "The
cat catches the mouse in the park", but maybe that's just Sapir-Whorf
again.

"zi" isn't used like "vi" because time is structured a bit differently
than space, making "zi" much less useful than "vi".

mu'o mi'e adam