Subject: RE: [lojban] RE: zi'o and modals

From: "Jorge Llambias" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2001 23:30:51

la and cusku di'e

>Your reasoning is that given enough desuetude, perennially
>unused places will through force of usage be excised from
>the gismu place structures. But how is that going to happen?
>-- For someone can always come along, find the official place
>structure and use it, and are they then going to be told
>"Yes, that's the place structure the dictionary gives, but
>in fact it's ungrammatical Lojban"?

It is never ungrammatical to use nonexistent places. They
will just receive a confused stare and then the realization
that "oh right, you must be using the word in its obsolete
sense".

>No. What you should do if you don't like the place structure of
>a gismu is create a lujvo or fuhivla that does have the place
>structure you want. Then let the gismu die from desuetude.

If lujvo or fuhivla were as convenient to use as gismu that
would be a good solution, but they're usually several orders
of magnitude more cumbersome, so I think the ignore weird places
strategy has a better payoff.

mu'o mi'e xorxes

_________________________________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com.