Subject: Re: [lojban] RE: Rabbity Sand-Laugher

From: And Rosta <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 16:14:57 +0100

John:
#And Rosta scripsit:
#
#> > John Cowan, Underspecificator
#> 
#> You were the Documenter, not the Specificator.
#
#You think Lojban is underspecified now, before the Codex it was hopelessly
#underspecified. I was forever pursuing Bob (and others, but mostly Bob)
#with "And what is this syntax supposed to mean?"

I know, but:you asked Bob, instead of making up your own answer, and then
documented his answer,.

Anyway, I happily acknowledge that your efforts served to increase the 
specification by a large factor, but it remains massively underspecified.
Once upona time, Before Codex, we would have debated issues when
they arose, then come to some resolution, and then thanks to your
diligence, documented it. Nowadays we either come to a resolution
that remains undocumented or else do not reach a resolution. Many
unresolved issues (such as the grammar of anaphora) are never going
to get resolved by usage, unless in the indirect manner whereby 
Jorge makes up grammar to fill some underspecified gaps so as to
resolves these issues to his personal satisfaction, uses the
language accordingly, and then inspires others to follow his usage.

--And.