Subject: Alis in Yiddishland

From: Edward Cherlin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 11:52:43 -0700

Martin Jacobs recently requested information from the Mendele list on 
Yiddish translations of Lewis Carroll. I have witnessed a performance of 
Jabberwocky recited in Yiddish under the title "Yomervokhets", with 
simultaneous translation into juggling, at the KlezmerMania show in 
Berkeley CA. A quick search on Google for "yiddish jabberwocky" returns 96 
hits, including Refoyl Finkel's Alis in Vunderland, Kapitel 1, Arof dem 
krolik-lokh. It was published in Der Bavebter Yid, and is now available at 
http://www.cs.uky.edu/~raphael/bavebter/numer.1.2/sholem.alis.html.

Mr. Jacobs might also be interested in the translation currently underway 
into the artificial language Lojban. I can send him a copy when it is done. 
See http://www.lojban.org for general information on Lojban. It was 
designed to make mathematical logic speakable, so it is ideal for much of 
Carroll. It is also conceivable that it could be applied to Talmudic 
studies, although perhaps not likely.

Edward Cherlin
Generalist
"A knot! Oh, do let me help to undo it."
Alice in Wonderland