Subject: Re: [lojban] Re: Alis in Yiddishland

From: Edward Cherlin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 18:58:16 -0700

At 02:38 PM 6/26/2001, A.W.T. wrote:
>--- In lojban@y..., Edward Cherlin <edward.cherlin.sy.67@a...> wrote:
>...Refoyl Finkel's Alis in Vunderland, Kapitel 1, Arof dem
> > krolik-lokh. It was published in Der Bavebter Yid, and is now available at
> > http://www.cs.uky.edu/~raphael/bavebter/numer.1.2/sholem.alis.html.
>
>I think Yiddish (Jiddisch) is a pretty appropriate "tool" for "Alice" 
>because - despite being a "ridiculous" mediaeval Middle-
>German dialect ;-)

High German, according to my sources. <dons asbestos suit>Germans are just 
jealous that Jews have preserved the language better. (And their racial 
purity, also)<will wait to see whether it is safe to remove asbestos suit>

>- it's been polished by intellectual use for logic (or nonsensical) 
>reasoning. Just deplorable my deficiencies of
>reading the texts in Hebrew characters.
>BTW, the romanization isn't a real transcription, but following the 
>English pronunciation rules: It shouldn't be given as "Alis in
>Vunderland" but "Alis in wunderland" since the V-sound is a "double-u" 
>(=vv) in the Hebrew character text (according the German
>spelling of the v-sound).

Actually, it should be 'V', because it is in the standardized YIVO 
romanization of Yiddish, and is not German. Compare

English: 'Twas brillig
Deutsch: Es Brillig war
Idish (YIVO): Es var brilg

>.aulun.