Subject: Re: Question of meaning

From: "Adam Raizen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2001 02:12:22 -0000

la pier cusku di'e
> >Erm, yes, in that I'm new on this list (and rather new to lojban 
as 
> >well) I'm not 100% certain of how it would be correct to go about 
> >asking this...but here goes. A friend and I were discussing 
> >vocatives. co'o, ki'e, etc. He then mentioned that nai could be 
> >tacked on to negate something. The question then came up as to 
what 
> >it would mean when someone said "coinai". Would it be negative in 
> >emotion? Would it be a vocalized avoidance of greeting? Does 
anyone 
> >have any thoughts on this? I would much appreciate hearing what 
other 
> >people think. 
> 
> coinai	I'm not greeting you
> co'onai	I'm not ready to say bye yet
> mi'enai	I'm not...
> ta'anai	Keep talking

The book mentions in 15.7 
(http://www.lojban.org/files/reference-grammar/chap15.html#s7) that 
"co'o" is the same as "coinai", but I think that your suggestion is 
more useful.

Now why can't we say "doinai"?

mu'o mi'e adam