Subject: Re: [lojban] Times of Day

From: Edward Cherlin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 07 Jul 2001 17:46:48 -0700

At 05:19 PM 2001-07-06, Nick NICHOLAS wrote:

>.i kantu be le se spuda be lenu la lojbab. cu cpedu loi pinka be le velcli
>cu caca'a barda .i ja'ebo mi carmi se pluka le ka le lojbo cecmu cu
>simsidju djica
>
>Pierre has pointed out to me that, with numerals following te'i by
>default, there is no real need for cmene for hours of the day. The only
>compelling reason I can see is to distinguish by a cmene postfix (lir.,
>lec.) between AM and PM. So:
>
>(a) Should cmene for hours be mentioned? Or should we just make Lojban
>24-hour and be done with it?

Please can we go make the 24-hour clock official? Pretty please? I hate 
having the hours of the morning (and afternoon) run

12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11, or worse

XII I II III IV V VI VII VIII IX X XI

I suppose that the late medieval monks and priests in charge of the church 
clocks weren't having any truck with those infidel numerals that the 
mathematicians were promoting--especially not 0. After all, Fibonacci 
published Liber Abaci in 1202, the same year the Fourth Crusade was launched.

Edward Cherlin
Generalist
"A knot! Oh, do let me help to undo it."
Alice in Wonderland