Subject: Re: [lojban] NT translation

From: Pierre Abbat <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2001 20:51:43 -0400

On Sat, 07 Jul 2001, And Rosta wrote:
>I've seen that there appears to be a project underway to translate 
>the New Testament, but I missed whatever organizational apparatus
>is governing the project. Could somebody clue me in? I was thinking
>at having a stab at doing a couple of chapters over the summer, 
>and I'd like to know which I should or shouldn't do, and which 
>source I should translate from. If it's not KJV it has to be 
>downloadable, and if it's not in English it has at least to have 
>English glosses.

Use CVS to download the lojban module; it's in the translations/drbible
subdirectory. The way I do it is, in my lojban directory I have a cvs
subdirectory, which has a file called cvsenv with these commands in it:
CVSROOT=:pserver:(my userid)@digitalkingdom.org:/home/cvs
export CVSROOT
and then I type:
.. cvsenv # NOT "./cvsenv" as then the variable won't appear in your interactive shell
cvs co lojban
Ask Robin Lee Powell for CVS access, if you don't have it already.

The English version in CVS is the Douay-Rheims (which is what "dr" stands for)
version, but you can use whichever you have to translate, and if you know
Greek, all the better. I use the Majority Text Greek version, referring to
various translations when I don't understand the Greek, for the NT and a triglot
for the Tenakh. Pick a chapter and go for it.

Always do "cvs update" (or "cvs checkout") before a translation session, and
"cvs commit" afterward. Others will read your writing and may add comments; if
you don't update before translating, your commit will fail.

phma