Subject: Re: [lojban] Re: "jbosnu" group (AND an aside about Lojban IRC)

From: Jay Kominek <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2001 19:54:18 -0600 (MDT)

On Sat, 7 Jul 2001 [email-masked] wrote:

> yeah, it's true that #lojban can be a lot of english. but the big
> difference here is one is IRC and one is a message board. you can
> have a lot more message boards than IRC channels because you don't
> have to be there to interact--this is why we can have two message
> boards and only one IRC channel. english is fine on the IRC channel
> because there's people just starting off...and our community is not
> big enough to support a strictly lojban only irc yet.

I was in no way attempting to insinuate any relationship between the two
items discussed in my email. That was the purpose of the --- I stuck in
there. Just trying to mention something on the list which I didn't deem
worthy of its own message.

And, with a fair amount of patience and a stable connection, you don't
even have to be 'there' on IRC to iteract. I routinely spread IRC
conversations out over a matter of hours or days. You just have to get rid
of the mindset that IRC is something requiring immediate attention and
interaction. (You also have to have a large scrollback buffer in your
client, but thats easy enough to arrange for.)

If I (Taliesin) am on #lojban, then I'll see anything directed at me
sooner or later, and if you're still connected, I'll respond, and happily
continue in such a fashion ad infinitum. (Regardless of timescale)

- Jay Kominek <[email-masked]>
Waiting Is.