Subject: Re: [lojban] Rafsi in cmene

From: "Bob LeChevalier (lojbab)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2001 04:39:14 -0400

At 05:14 PM 07/07/2001 -0700, Nick Nicholas wrote:
>Pierre has pointed out to me that cmene like vocac. are misleading for
>hours, because cac. is not a rafsi of cacra. To be consistent with the
>other time milestones, this would mean vocacr. instead.
>
>1) Do we want to inflict unpronouncables like vocacr. on our audience? (My
>take is, why not --- I'm now saying 12-hour time is dispreferred anyway,
>and vocacr. is not that much more unpronouncable than la .r,l)

It's an extra syllable, cacr is also not a rafsi for cacra, and I would be 
more prone to prefer vocacraC for arbitrary C.

>2) Is the objection valid?

Not necessarily.

>Have we ever explicitly claimed that cmene
>suffixes of this kind should be rafsi (plus or minus final schwa)?

I don't think there are any rules for cmene making, though I havent 
reviewed what the Book says.

>I'm fairly sure these forms originated from Lojban Central...

Yes. They were in the original Lesson 1 of the draft textbook, though I 
don't know where they are in the current draft which broke lessons up and 
rearranged them.

There might be some discussion in the textbook as to why I chose them, but 
other aspects of my approach to naming times (abandonment of base 12) have 
already been supplanted anyway.

lojbab
--
lojbab [email-masked]
Bob LeChevalier, President, The Logical Language Group, Inc.
2904 Beau Lane, Fairfax VA 22031-1303 USA 703-385-0273
Artificial language Loglan/Lojban: http://www.lojban.org