Subject: Re: [lojban] Re: "jbosnu" group (AND an aside about Lojban IRC)

From: Jay Kominek <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2001 10:42:27 -0600 (MDT)

On Sun, 8 Jul 2001, Bob LeChevalier (lojbab) wrote:

> At 07:54 PM 07/07/2001 -0600, Jay Kominek wrote:
> >And, with a fair amount of patience and a stable connection, you don't
> >even have to be 'there' on IRC to iteract. I routinely spread IRC
> >conversations out over a matter of hours or days. You just have to get rid
> >of the mindset that IRC is something requiring immediate attention and
> >interaction. (You also have to have a large scrollback buffer in your
> >client, but thats easy enough to arrange for.)
>
> You seem to presume that most of us are connected to the net full time, and
> that we would keep the client running when we are not using it.

That would be why I added the precondition "a stable connection", yes.

I fully realize not everyone is able to achieve the above, I'm just trying
to point out, for those able, that it is an option.

(There are, I know for fact, users of #lojban with DSL and other nailed up
connections, that could do the above, but don't for reasons unknown.)

- Jay Kominek <[email-masked]>

p.s. For UNIX using IRC'ers, you might want to look into the screen
command, if you havn't already, as it allows you to leave a program
running even when you don't have a terminal allocated for it, and to
switch which terminal it is running on.