Subject: Re: [lojban] NT translation

From: Michal Wallace <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2001 13:28:00 -0500 (CDT)

On Sun, 8 Jul 2001, Bob LeChevalier (lojbab) wrote:

> >I am just as used to clicking on the Web (note: the Web is only
> >part of the Net) and could not figure out Cervisia (the KDE front
> >end to CVS). Use the command-line program, it's easier.
> 
> WHAT Command line program? I use Internet Explorer, and sometimes 
> Netscape. These things sometimes have invisible "plug-ins". But I don't 
> even HAVE a command line unless I go down to DOS and then I can't access 
> the Internet.

CVS itself is a command line program. And yes, you go to DOS. 

CVS lets multiple people work at the same time on different files, and
keeps track of the changes being made.. (CVS stands for concurrent
versioning system)

There are basically four things you want to do with CVS:

- log in (only have to do once, ever)
- check files out
- commit changes
- ask for updates

When you check out a file, it makes a copy on your local hard drive.
When you check in a file, it adds your changes to the repository.
When you ask for updates, it merges other people's changes into your
working copy.

The corresponding commands are:

LOGIN:

cvs -d:pserver:<userid>@digitalkingdom.org:/home/cvs login

where <userid> is your username that robin will give you.

CHECKOUT:

cvs co lojban

COMMIT CHANGES:

cvs add filename(s) # to mark a new file as ready to check in
cvs rm filename(s) # to mark an old file as obsolete / deleted
cvs ci -m"message" filename(s) # to check the file in

UPDATE:

cvs update

----

When I first started using CVS, I looked at winCVS.org, which has a
GUI front-end, but I found it very confusing. The command line was
easier for me. I downloaded it anyway just to get cvs.exe (the
commandline tool)

Hope that helps..

Cheers,

- Michal
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
let me host you! http://www.sabren.com/ my page: http://www.sabren.net/
---------------------------------------------------------------------------