Subject: Aspects : prematurely

From: Richard Curnow <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 23:16:40 +0100

For activities that go on too long, or are cut short, we have the
co'u/mu'o and za'o/xa'o distinctions (where xa'o is an experimental
cmavo that seems to have acquired some degree of acceptability.)

For events that go on too long, 

--------------------------- time
^<------ za'o ------->^
| |
mu'o cu'o

For events that are cut short, 

--------------------------- time
^<------ xa'o ------->^
| |
co'u mu'o

I'm considering the lack of symmetry between the above facilities and
what we have for the "start of event" : to wit, just the cmavo co'a. My
understanding is that co'a relates to the actual start of the event in
the same way that co'u relates to the actual end. So there is no
analogue of mu'o, to indicate the point when the event "ought to have
begun". Neither are there equivalents of za'o and xa'o.

When the actual start is before the "proper" start, we have the mirror
image of the za'o situation at the top. In this case, a word mirroring
za'o would give a useful translation of "prematurely". Maybe it's time
to lay claim to some more experimental cmavo.

-- 
R.P.Curnow,Weston-super-Mare,UK |lo samskiro'a cu simsa lo'e glefau
http://www.rrbcurnow.freeuk.com/ |isa'e le xamgu cu tcetcexau ije
[email-masked] |le xlali cu xagmau lenu nomei