Subject: RE: [lojban] Looking down

From: "And Rosta" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2001 03:22:02 +0100

Nick:
> Your assembled wit & wisdom is requested again, listmembers. Arnt has
> pointed out to me that {mo'ini'u catlu le kabri} is not a good rendering of
> "looked down at her cup", since it is not clear what exactly is 'moving
> downwards'. I think the eyeballs can be sensibly inferred as moving down,

For this example, yes, but actually in English LOOK + directional phrase
the directional phrase expresses the direction of the gaze.

> and that when you don't have an overt predicate of motion involved, you
> should be able to exert common sense (implicature) in determining what it
> is that moves. But then again, is this simply a sense of directionality, so
> that {ni'u catlu le kabri} is enough?
> 
> So which is it? Is {[mo'i]ni'u catlu le kabri} acceptable Lojban? And more
> importantly, is it acceptable in the Lessons?

Setting aside the fact that I am baffled as to how "(mo'i) ni'u" could
possibly mean "down", and instead assuming it does mean "moving downwards", 
then I think it would be comprehensible, milxe mabla glico Lojban and 
therefore not acceptable in lessons.

But a lujvo version of catlu that includes a path sumti (for the path of
the gaze) would be okay.

--And.