Subject: Re: [lojban] questions about DOI & cmene

From: "Bob LeChevalier (lojbab)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2001 17:31:50 -0400

At 08:50 PM 07/14/2001 +0100, And Rosta wrote:
>1. Why is "doi" in DOI, while "mi'e" is in COI?

doi is by itself in its own selma'o because, like "la" we wanted to have 
some word that could precede a name in a vocative without a pause. All of 
the COI words can precede a name, but require a pause or doi to avoid being 
part of the name. On the other hand, a name cannot have a syllable "doi" 
in it or it becomes ambiguous what the start of the name is. It can have 
"mi'e" within the name.

>2. "la nanmu" means "ko'a poi cmene fa zo nanmu ke'a", while
>"coi nanmu" means "coi do [p]oi nanmu fa ke'a".

No. coi nanmu means coi do poi du la nanmu just as coi djan means coi do 
poi du la djan

> I cannot work
>out from the Woldy Codex whether "doi nanmu" is in this
>respect like LA or like COI: does it mean "O man" -- "doi
>do [p]oi nanmu fa ke'a" -- or "O Man" -- "doi la nanmu"?

It should be like coi. Grammatically COI and DOI are essentially the same 
thing, with the differences intended for phonological restriction reasons.

>3. "do poi nanmu fa ke'a" should mean "those of you that
>are men", but does "coi nanmu" mean "Hello, those of you
>that are men",
> "coi do poi nanmu fa ke'a", or does it
>mean "Hello, men", "coi do noi nanmu fa ke'a"?

No - those of you that I am calling men.

>4. Why are lojbanists encouraged to name themselves and others
>with cmevla?

Umm, what do you mean by "encouraged"? Most Lojbanists seem to want to 
have something to put after mi'e at the ends of their postings etc. and it 
has always been one of the first things a new Lojbanist TRIES to do. No 
encouragement needed.

lojbab
--
lojbab [email-masked]
Bob LeChevalier, President, The Logical Language Group, Inc.
2904 Beau Lane, Fairfax VA 22031-1303 USA 703-385-0273
Artificial language Loglan/Lojban: http://www.lojban.org