Subject: RE: [lojban] Zhang

From: "Craig" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2001 23:20:49 -0400

Since chinese (pinyin) zh is sometimes pronounced as /dZ/ affricate before
a, and lojban n may be pronounced as /N/, although it usually is not, I
recommend spelling it either djan. or jan. The ng on the end is one phoneme,
a nasal, and since there is no stop jang. and djang. would both be wrong -
lojban. ng is pronounced /ng/ and not /N/ like the pinyin ng.

-----Original Message-----
From: Nick Nicholas [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Sunday, July 15, 2001 9:35 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [lojban] Zhang

As you know, Zhang in Robin's lessons was transliterated jang., and I've
kept it. I know that final -ng in Lojban is not recommended. Would you go
so far as to say it should not appear in the lessons at all, as being
misleading, and Zhang should be jan. in all instances?

Nick Nicholas, TLG, UCI, USA. [email-masked] www.opoudjis.net
"Most Byzantine historians felt they knew enough to use the optatives
correctly; some of them were right." --- Harry Turtledove.

To unsubscribe, send mail to [email-masked]

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.