Subject: Re: [lojban] registry of experimental cmavo

From: "Bob LeChevalier (lojbab)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 00:05:47 -0400

At 05:51 PM 07/16/2001 -0600, Jay Kominek wrote:
>On Tue, 17 Jul 2001, And Rosta wrote:
> > B. Can experimental cmavo belong to experimental selmaho and
> > hence can there be experimental grammatical structures?
>
>The grammar is supposed to be fixed and unchanging for the time being,
>isn't it?

So's the lexicon, except that we left a set of words undefined.

I don't think we had a clear idea that they would be systematically defined 
and logged for experimentation because recording them in a definite 
reference may be tantamount to making them official (I am not under the 
illusion any more that only LLG could publish a Lojban dictionary that 
would be accepted by the masses as if it were official).

> > 1. In BAhE: next word begins nonstandard construction.
>
>How does the different from ba'e? If you're referring to an entire
>nonstandard grammatical construct, then how does the listener know where
>it ends?

The only ways to introduce a non-standard grammar concept is to introduce a 
non-standard (unofficial) YACC grammar (or maybe BNF grammar in the hopes 
that someone can make it work in YACC) that includes it, or to abandon 
pretense that one is attempting to speak in a grammatically unambiguous 
language.

> > 4. takes cmevla as complement and yields da-series KOhA, allowing
> > bare cmevla to function as da-series KOhA thereafter.

daxipa goi la djan

> > 5. takes cmevla as complement and yields ko'a-series KOhA, allowing
> > bare cmevla to function as ko'a-series KOhA thereafter.

ko'axipa goi la djan
though

>Whats wrong with the la?

la djan certainly can be used as a ko'a without explicitly assigning it as 
I did.

> > 6. In SE: fill places from x2/x3/x4/x5 onwards with zi'o

And seems mostly to be asking for short forms of things one can already do 
in the language. I think that there is little point in bothering to come 
up with short forms before we see that people are using the long versions 
for something.

lojbab
--
lojbab [email-masked]
Bob LeChevalier, President, The Logical Language Group, Inc.
2904 Beau Lane, Fairfax VA 22031-1303 USA 703-385-0273
Artificial language Loglan/Lojban: http://www.lojban.org