Subject: Nick buggers up yet again

From: Nick NICHOLAS <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 01:50:57 -0700 (PDT)

This time, thanks to my confusion about xml specs, and some dodgy
downloads, it turns out that I've been caught unaware of the fact that in
XML, all attributes have to be quoted. Which means that in the next
upload, a diff is going to be useless, as every tenth line will be
different (particularly in the brochure, with its abundace of tables.)
I am an idiot, and I apologise.

Furthermore, Docbook's support of indexes is suspect; on its own, it
doesn't want to do index ranges (pp. x-y) at all, and will give only the
first of two values. Furthermore, Docbook is meant to be able to specify
an index entry pertains to a whole section of a document (say, a
subchapter), and give you in the index the pertinent number of pages. I
have found an RTF workaround for the latter (when the range of text to be
indexed is specified by milestones), and nothing under any regime for the
latter. This will degrade TeX output relative to RTF for the index (you'll
get the first page, rather than a page range); sorry, guys, it's not my
fault openjade (the main culprit) is still whacked.

Anyway, my other non-professional interests are already knocking on the
door, so I really am running out of time on all this; I will attempt to
index the texts in the next couple of days, and I suspect that will be it
in terms of substantive contributions to these documents.

Your corrections and suggestions, of course, will still be welcome over
the next month, at least.

-- 
/||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||\
| "One must first know that traditionally a Japanese bus has carried not ||
| only a driver but one or more young girls who stand in the aisles and ||
| sell tickets, announce stops, and in general console the passengers for||
| the inadequacies and discomforts of this transient world." \
| --- Roy Andrew Miller, _The Japanese Language_, p. 251 \
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
\[email-masked]|||||||Transient Passenger||||||Nick Nicholas||||||||||
==\||||||||||||www.opoudjis.net||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||/
()() ()() ()()