Subject: RE: [lojban] questions about DOI & cmene

From: "And Rosta" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 14:32:15 +0100

John:
> Bob LeChevalier (lojbab) scripsit:
[...]
> > Saying that there was no question of its meaning something doesn't tell me
> > whether it means it or doesn't mean it (I can read it either way), so which
> > are you concluding?
>
> I conclude that "doi cribe" = "doi la cribe" was never considered,
> because that is not what Carter vocatives are for: they are all about
> identifying "do" based on some characteristic such as "girl in the red
> dress". The question was whether that description had to be veridical;
> you said it didn't.

On a different but related point, this seems to conflict with Lojbab
saying "coi girl in the red dress" means "hello, those of you that I
am describing as a girl in the red dress". Lojbab's formulation makes
the description restrict do, implying that the referent of do is
already established, and a subset of them are being greeted. Your
formulation makes the description nonrestrictive, identifying the
referent of do.

--And.