Subject: RE: [lojban] registry of experimental cmavo

From: "And Rosta" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 23:24:07 +0100

Lojbab:
> At 02:32 PM 07/17/2001 +0100, And Rosta wrote:
> >Jay:
> > > On Tue, 17 Jul 2001, And Rosta wrote:
> > >
> > > > A. Is there a registry of experimental cmavo? If not, could
> > > > we have one? If noone else wants to maintain it, I'd volunteer
> > > > to.
> > >
> > > My web page dictionary will allow people to submit experimental
> > > cmavo and gismu, when it is complete.
> >
> >This is good, but I'd like to have access to records specifically
> >of proposed additions/innovations/augmentations to the language.
> 
> There is no formal method of proposing additions, innovations, or 
> augmentations to the language, and Lojban Central is unalterably opposed to 
> even setting up a system for doing so during the baseline period, because 
> the mere existence of such a system renders one major purpose of the 
> baseline meaningless (the two major purposes being long term stability in 
> order to develop a large speaker population and, the one that is 
> threatened, the transfer of the language change process from one of formal 
> control and direction to one of natural language change by evolution among 
> speakers of the language).
> 
> Proposals for changes are by their nature prescriptions. We want no 
> prescriptions other than the official language, until the baseline period 
> ends. Ideally, at that point, there will be no need for English language 
> discussion of changes.

I'm not sure (a) whether you're saying that Lojban Central wants no proposals
for change and does not want to set up a system for registering changes,
or (b) whether Lojban Central (and by implication LLG in all likelihood) wants
to prevent the wider Lojban community from collectively maintaining an
unofficial register of proposals for change (which I construe as proposals
for a different loglan, not as proposals to oblige others to alter their
linguistic behaviour). If (a) then I know, but it doesn't change my interest 
in loglan design. If (b), then you need to be more explicit about what 
prohibitions someone friendly to LLG must obey.

--And.