Subject: Re: [lojban] Looking down: executive summary?

From: Anthony Roach <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 20:06:29 -0500

On Tue, Jul 17, 2001 at 02:21:59PM -0400, Bob LeChevalier (lojbab) wrote:
> Unfortunately, the only BEGINNER I've heard from (someone who has never 
> read the refgrammar or tried to speak the language, seems to be finding the 
> lessons too steep. Not nearly enough examples, and exercises that go 
> beyond what he feels he knows how to do based on the text. The lessons as 
> they are thus challenge a learner, rather than give him confidence that the 
> language is easy in order to move on to seek a tougher challenge. pc has 
> made the comment that even he is learning stuff from the lessons, and I 
> don't think that beginner lessons would teach skilled Lojbanists anything.

Just to reiterate from my other email, I am a beginner and I've never
looked at the reference grammar. I am challenged by the lessons, but not so
much that it frustrates me or makes me think the language is difficult. In
fact, it is quite obvious to me that Lojban is MUCH easier to learn than
other languages I've tried (German, Spanish, and Japanese). I must admit
that I have had a lot of training in advanced math and logic, so maybe that
makes Lojban easier for me to learn than for a the average Joe, since
Lojban is a logical language. <shrug> On the other hand, so far the lessons
haven't gone into advanced logic topics (it gives references to the
reference grammar where needed), so I don't think I have much of an
advantage.

Besides, I think a mediocre inexpensive introductory book is better
than none at all. Of course Nick's lessons are not mediocre. I quite
like them. I can't imagine Nick's lessons turning anyone off of Lojban. 

-- 
name: Anthony Roach
homepage: http://www.electriceyeball.com
email: [email-masked]
PGP: http://www.electriceyeball.com/aroach.asc