Subject: RE: [lojban] registry of experimental cmavo

From: Invent Yourself <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 01:53:57 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 18 Jul 2001, And Rosta wrote:

> Xod:
> > On Tue, 17 Jul 2001, And Rosta wrote:
> [regarding the purported tendency of usage to identify or remedy
> 'problems' in the design:]
>
> > > Anyway, try not to get me started on this "let usage decide", "thousand
> > > flowers bloom" baloney.
> >
> > I think it's not so much "let usage decide" as much as it is "let the
> > users decide". One really needs to spend dozens or hundreds of hours
> > thinking in Lojban, or trying to, to be able to suggest meaningful
> > improvements. How else does one know which is really desirable from the
> > Lojban perspective, and which are the attempted importations of English or
> > other foreign sources?
>
> I don't share your apparent mystical sense of the Lojban soul. To me,
> Lojban is essentially a system for mapping known logicosemantic forms
> to known phonetic forms. So for me, there is no Lojban perspective;
> there are simply design issues concerning how to optimize the mapping.
> And of course I think spending dozens or hundreds of hours thinking
> about logic and semantics is on balance more relevant to design issues
> than spending dozens or hundreds of hours 'thinking in Lojban', whatever
> that means.

You seem to be saying that you can get everything offered by the
experience of driving a car by staring at the car's blueprints long
enough. Do you suppose a car that feels great to drive could be improved
by the ideas of people that never themselves drove it?

-----
We do not like And if a cat
those Rs and Ds, needed a hat?
Who can't resist Free enterprise
more subsidies. is there for that!