Subject: goi

From: "And Rosta" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 19:59:24 +0100

1. The Refgram, pp150-151 exx 5.2-3 explicitly says that
"la alis goi ko'a" and "ko'a goi la alis", both in sentences
where the referent of "la alis" has already been established,
are equivalent. I think this is mistake. The function of
{goi} should be to assign the referent of one (referential)
sumti (which should be the first one) to another sumti (which
should be the second one). Hence "ko'a goi la alis" should
mean "It, which I shall hereafter refer to as 'la alis'",
while the textbook's "ko'a goi la alis" ought to be "ko'a
no'u la alis".

2. Jorge tells me that (or so I understood), {da goi la ab
da goi la ac} is equivalent to {da xi pa goi la ab da xi
re goi la ac}, i.e. because it assigns its value to the
goi sumti, it is bound by a different quantifier (that is,
it is a different variable). This seems reasonable enough,
but I'd like to confirm that I understood correctly.

--And.