Subject: RE: greeks and love (was RE: [lojban] registry of experimental cmavo - new proposals featuring XOhA an...)

From: "And Rosta" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 03:27:55 +0100

This is off topic, but I'm hoping to get an answer to something I've
long been wondering:

Craig:
> The greeks had three different roots which meant love. 
[...]
> The greek stems varied in
> meaning, admittedly, but not as widely as the English word does. Eros was
> ALWAYS the sexual kind, for example, while philo was ALWAYS a more 'how you
> feel' kind. how you felt varied with philo; in plato and aristotle it was
> more like friendship than love. There is actually significance to the fact
> that plato was a philosopher and not an erosopher - he enjoyed knowledge,
> but he wasn't getting in bed with it and having passionate intercourse.

[erotosopher, that should be. (& is, I dream, my calling in life...)]

I presume the third word is agape (besides philo & eros). But what, then, is
storge?

--And.

ps. I shall be away from the net for a few days shortly. Please don't
everybody post too many messages, or I'll never catch up on my return.
Or post messages in Lojban, which I can happily (or at least nonunhappily)
then delete unread....