Subject: Re: greeks and love (was RE: [lojban] registry of experimental cmavo - new proposals featuring XOhA an...)

From: "Bob LeChevalier (lojbab)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 02:56:27 -0400

At 01:03 PM 07/19/2001 -0400, Craig wrote:
>I think having iu not mean mi prami is good, because it makes lojban the
>only language that does not need body language or smileys - the best English
>gloss for ui is not happiness but :-),

The smiley is usually expressed in Lojban as zo'o

> which would never do in a formal
>paper. But there is more than one kind of smile. A mischevous grin is happy,
>but it is not anything like the face you make while eating your favorite
>food. Both are ui in lojban.

uiro'o is physical happiness, which sounds good for how you feel about 
eating good food, though there are a couple other attitudes that could be 
added for good measure -.oinai comes to mind. A mischievious grin could 
mean any of several things, from zo'o, .i'inai, .i'o and maybe a few 
others, often combined with zo'o. It usually does not mean the simple 
emotion expressed by .ui

lojbab
--
lojbab [email-masked]
Bob LeChevalier, President, The Logical Language Group, Inc.
2904 Beau Lane, Fairfax VA 22031-1303 USA 703-385-0273
Artificial language Loglan/Lojban: http://www.lojban.org