Subject: Updates

From: Nick NICHOLAS <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 03:03:41 -0700 (PDT)

I cannot post the updates onto CVS, because local administrative genius
has temporarily locked me out of telnet --- but not out of ftp! As a
result, please find updated brochure and lessons. In particular,

(a) an index has been added to the brochure, which needs your
reviewing. If you're looking at the HTML version, hold your noses for
now at the broken rendering of em-dash (or view the file in Unicode encoding.)
If you're viewing the RTF version, do remember to actually index the file; on
PC, ctrl-A, then F9. On Mac... well, I'm afraid to try it on my MacWord 5,
but it's the standard indexing bizzo.

(b) the zip files containing the source should now be set up with proper
makefiles and instructions (in the docbooktools.zip); Pierre, try it now,
and make a symbolic link for the DSSSL stylesheets from their respective
homes to the docbooktools directory.

Indexing is an arbitrary and tedious procedure, and typing laborious index
entries into XML, then wondering why the RTF keeps exploding, is even more
tedious; the brochure has taken me 3 days of hooky at work, and the
lessons are half as long, and much more heterogeneous. The indexing really
will be my last substantial contribution to this particular project.

-- 
/||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||\
| "One must first know that traditionally a Japanese bus has carried not ||
| only a driver but one or more young girls who stand in the aisles and ||
| sell tickets, announce stops, and in general console the passengers for||
| the inadequacies and discomforts of this transient world." \
| --- Roy Andrew Miller, _The Japanese Language_, p. 251 \
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
\[email-masked]|||||||Transient Passenger||||||Nick Nicholas||||||||||
==\||||||||||||www.opoudjis.net||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||/
()() ()() ()()