Subject: Re: [lojban] Re: questions about DOI & cmene

From: Nick NICHOLAS <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 17:45:50 -0700 (PDT)

Quoth And:

>Yes. Note that all I'm saying is that bridi with lots of omitted or
>zo'e sumti are hard to gloss. (Tho also, as I've said to Michael, I
>think they're overused, making too heavy demands on the interpretive
>powers of the hearer.)

In addition to which, of course (as And has already pointed out, and as I
myself found in authoring the final lesson), we may be assuming that the
first sumti of a ka-abstraction is what has the ce'u value, but that has
never been stated anywhere even as a guideline, let alone as a rule.
(Well, it has been stated in the lessons now, but only tentatively...)

-- 
/||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||\
| "One must first know that traditionally a Japanese bus has carried not ||
| only a driver but one or more young girls who stand in the aisles and ||
| sell tickets, announce stops, and in general console the passengers for||
| the inadequacies and discomforts of this transient world." \
| --- Roy Andrew Miller, _The Japanese Language_, p. 251 \
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
\[email-masked]|||||||Transient Passenger||||||Nick Nicholas||||||||||
==\||||||||||||www.opoudjis.net||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||/
()() ()() ()()