Subject: RE: [lojban] On a number of parts of threads and single threads disguised as several

From: "Bob LeChevalier (lojbab)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 21:17:31 -0400

At 04:58 PM 07/20/2001 +0100, And Rosta wrote:
>(It follows, btw, that the 'tinkerers' on whom Lojbab heaps so much odium
>are vital to a project whose goal is to engineer something that realizes
>ideals of how to 'better' what nature provides.)

Of course it is not clear that this was ever a primary goal of the Loglan 
project. %^)

My "odium" so-called exists only because in 2 decades of Loglan work I have 
noticed that any serious discussion of changes has the twofold effect of
a) absorbing the attention of *all* the key people active in the language 
effort, so that nothing else gets done (and the issues don't necessarily 
get resolved), the language doesn't get used and book orders don't get 
filled. Alice in Wonderland, no matter how good or bad the translation, is 
worth far more than an equivalent amount of time invested in language 
improvement debates;
b) turning off new people who don't generally understand the esoteric 
nature of the discussion (and sometimes convincing them that the language 
isn't really "done" and hence ready for someone to learn).

lojbab
--
lojbab [email-masked]
Bob LeChevalier, President, The Logical Language Group, Inc.
2904 Beau Lane, Fairfax VA 22031-1303 USA 703-385-0273
Artificial language Loglan/Lojban: http://www.lojban.org