Subject: Re: [lojban] how can i help lojban? what can $ do?

From: Jay Kominek <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 19:48:47 -0600 (MDT)

On Fri, 20 Jul 2001, Bob LeChevalier (lojbab) wrote:

> We have a paypal account, but I have no idea how the money is supposed to
> come from it - they never sent me a check. I can't remember who suggested
> that I set the thing up to ask. So far as I know only that one person ever
> has used it to send money, which is presumably still sitting in the
> account. This on-line commerce is still a complete mystery to me, probably
> compounded by the fact that I personally have avoided doing e-commerce.

I've never moved money from my paypal account to my checking account, but
the theory is that you give paypal some information about your checking or
savings account, (bank number, account number, etc), go through their
security processes, and then you can have them transfer money from your
paypal account straight into your checking account.

I don't think they'll cut you paper checks for free.

> We did prepare an AI research proposal aimed at bigger bucks to support a
> few technical people full time, and indeed we have ideas on how we would
> spend larger amounts, but no one has even thought about $1 million, much
> less $10 million.

Where would you submit such a proposal to? NSF?

(I was wondering, just this morning, if you'd consider doing grant
proposals and such. :)

> Money to pay people could support AI research, or more cheaply either
> getting someone to handle orders and paperwork so it gets done
> promptly.

What does handling orders consist of? I could print out smallish
information packets at no cost to myself, and wouldn't mind absorbing the
cost of mailing them out, assuming they're not too big, and not too often.
(50 pages a week or so would be no problem.) I could even get them mailed
in a timely fashion. Just have to tell me what file to send to who.

- Jay Kominek <[email-masked]>