Subject: Re: how can i help lojban? what can $ do?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 19:25:47 -0000

--- In lojban@y..., "Bob LeChevalier (lojbab)" <lojbab@l...> wrote:
> At 07:48 PM 07/20/2001 -0600, you wrote:
> >On Fri, 20 Jul 2001, Bob LeChevalier (lojbab) wrote:
> > > We did prepare an AI research proposal aimed at bigger bucks to 
support a
> > > few technical people full time, and indeed we have ideas on how 
we would
> > > spend larger amounts, but no one has even thought about $1 
million, much
> > > less $10 million.
> >
> >Where would you submit such a proposal to? NSF?
> 
> In our case, yes.
> 
> >(I was wondering, just this morning, if you'd consider doing grant
> >proposals and such. :)
> 
> We tried that once. Did not even make the cut to get feedback on 
why we 
> did not win, unfortunately. Probably because the job was too 
hurried.
> 
> But JCB sought 3 different NSF grants in the late 70s and we know 
what 
> feedback he got, and thus we know a lot of errors to avoid.
<SNIP>
well i guess that's the way the world works. i just can't help see 
money as such a primitive concept, though. that's why i asked if it 
would even help. i think the best it could do would be to remove 
individuals from their need to make money. and getting 
grants...working the system, i could never put up with that.

anyways, lojban is one of the only things i ever thought to donate 
money to (i don't even tip). so if you ever see a huge donation, it 
might be me. i floated the $10-million dollar value out but even 
that seems small. what's more important--lojban or social security? 
and social security dwarfs $10 million.