Subject: Re: [lojban] Re: how can i help lojban? what can $ do?

From: "Bob LeChevalier (lojbab)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 15:57:13 -0400

At 07:25 PM 07/21/2001 +0000, [email-masked] wrote:
>well i guess that's the way the world works. i just can't help see
>money as such a primitive concept, though. that's why i asked if it
>would even help. i think the best it could do would be to remove
>individuals from their need to make money.

Well, at this point, a certain chunk of unrestricted money would close off 
LLGs debts and cause us not to be worried about keeping the organization 
afloat for a long time to come (probably talking around $10K here). A 
somewhat larger amount would allow me to farm out the business-work to 
people who do that sort of thing professionally for a fee. (probably a few 
more thousands, but it has to be ongoing).

If we could get up to the level of even $100K, we can run the organization 
on the interest alone, $200K would start to finance real research (these 
numbers might be lower with non-US researchers).

I don't make money at Lojban and never expect to. But this also means that 
at some point I may have to go back to work, and my Lojban time will shrink 
even further.

>and getting grants...working the system, i could never put up with that.

I know something about doing so, but it is a much more intensive job than I 
have had time to do for many years.

>anyways, lojban is one of the only things i ever thought to donate
>money to (i don't even tip). so if you ever see a huge donation, it
>might be me. i floated the $10-million dollar value out but even
>that seems small.

Not to me. Even $100K would change the way we do business, and I have 
trouble imagining what we would do with more than a million it seems so 
unlikely. (I'm sure I'll come up with something appropriate should you be 
so generous %^) And I'll definitely deposit the check promptly, once I 
recover from fainting %^)

lojbab

--
lojbab [email-masked]
Bob LeChevalier, President, The Logical Language Group, Inc.
2904 Beau Lane, Fairfax VA 22031-1303 USA 703-385-0273
Artificial language Loglan/Lojban: http://www.lojban.org