Subject: RE: [lojban] From the classics

From: "Craig" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 16:27:01 -0400

charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

>>And does the dialect thing mean Pierre is in the South? Where are Brer
>>Rabbit stories indigenous to again, anyway?

>I am, but it's more likely because I put some info about dialects in the
>phrasebook. I have a couple more; for instance in the west (tending to
>northwest, I think - anybody got a map of Lojbanistan?) they say
"tirhahitha"
>for "tirxyxi'a", and in the north they tend to reduce unstressed vowels.
The
>words "zunle kanla" as pronounced somewhere (I'm not sure where) are
>untranscribable in any alphabet I know; the "nl" is pronounced as a nasal l
>sound.

the zunle kanla irregularity you mentioned is written as 'zu~le ka~la' with
the ~'s over the vowels, showing that they are nasal. Mostly this occurs
along the southern coast, which also drops the t in tc and turns dj into
tc - mi tcu~o for I know, for example. The northwest region (tirhahitha) is
the variant I speak, and it's closer to 'tirhyxitha', with the y almost as
in standard lojban and the intervocalic x pronounced standardly but unvoiced
and with an 'l' sound mixed in, it's hard to explain. The x next to another
consonant is EXACTLY like standard '. In the digraph 'nx' the n is
pronounced /N/, so fonxa is pronounced 'fong-ha' Now in the FAR northwest,
they say ' the same as t. Also, around here fa'a is directional. Crtain
central dialects (not all, but a few) pronounce clear l for l and dark l for
x - very hard on travellers. Just try distinguishing words like xalba
('lalpa') or xagmu ('lakmu'). Now lojbanistani speach is quite varied, there
is not in existence anything like a full listing of dialects. But we
understand each other, usually. and we all CAN speak standard lojban, we
just naturally don't.

You want a map of lojbanistan? I'm attaching one.

--la kreig.daniyl

'segu le bavli temci gi mi'o renvi lo purci
.i ga le fonxa janbe gi du mi'
-la djimis.BYFet

xy.sy. gubmau ckiku cmesanji: 0x5C3A1E74