Subject: RE: [lojban] From the classics

From: Pierre Abbat <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 17:57:57 -0400

On Sat, 21 Jul 2001, Craig wrote:
>the zunle kanla irregularity you mentioned is written as 'zu~le ka~la' with
>the ~'s over the vowels, showing that they are nasal. Mostly this occurs
>along the southern coast, which also drops the t in tc and turns dj into
>tc - mi tcu~o for I know, for example. The northwest region (tirhahitha) is
>the variant I speak, and it's closer to 'tirhyxitha', with the y almost as
>in standard lojban and the intervocalic x pronounced standardly but unvoiced
>and with an 'l' sound mixed in, it's hard to explain. The x next to another
>consonant is EXACTLY like standard '. In the digraph 'nx' the n is
>pronounced /N/, so fonxa is pronounced 'fong-ha' Now in the FAR northwest,
>they say ' the same as t. Also, around here fa'a is directional. Crtain
>central dialects (not all, but a few) pronounce clear l for l and dark l for
>x - very hard on travellers. Just try distinguishing words like xalba
>('lalpa') or xagmu ('lakmu'). Now lojbanistani speach is quite varied, there
>is not in existence anything like a full listing of dialects. But we
>understand each other, usually. and we all CAN speak standard lojban, we
>just naturally don't.
>
>You want a map of lojbanistan? I'm attaching one.

Interesting. Thanks for the map. I take it the little area beyond the mountain
in the northeast is Loglandia?

In my pronunciation of "fonxa" the n is N, the x is a slight gargle and the o
is at least halfway toward the oo in "book".

By the way, how about "nacycme" for a key ID?

phma