Subject: Re: [lojban] how can i help lojban? what can $ do?

From: Jay Kominek <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 23:38:44 -0600 (MDT)

On Sat, 21 Jul 2001, Bob LeChevalier (lojbab) wrote:

> At 07:48 PM 07/20/2001 -0600, you wrote:
> >Where would you submit such a proposal to? NSF?
>
> But JCB sought 3 different NSF grants in the late 70s and we know what
> feedback he got, and thus we know a lot of errors to avoid.

I'm curious, what are the major errors to avoid?

> >I could print out smallish
> >information packets at no cost to myself, and wouldn't mind absorbing the
> >cost of mailing them out, assuming they're not too big, and not too often.
> >(50 pages a week or so would be no problem.) I could even get them mailed
> >in a timely fashion. Just have to tell me what file to send to who.
>
> We were considering something like this last LogFest. But the problems
> always return back to the paperwork issues. Keeping books. Paying sales
> tax on things we sell as opposed to hand out. Making sure that no orders
> get lost. Making sure that credit cards get charged, but only when we
> actually fill the order, rather than when we get the order.

So, is that, "No, no interest in having others print out and mail simple
literature, at no monetary cost to LLG, and for only as much time as it
takes to email snail mail addresses to willing parties"? :)

It seems as though the concerns are two-fold.

1, The people sending out the papers will violate the confidentiality of
those receiving the papers. Valid, but not a terribly huge deal it seems.
I mean, what would someone do? Tell others "Hah! Jim on Oak street is
interested in that crazy Lojban stuff!"?

2, The people sending out the stuff don't do it. I don't see why someone
would volunteer and then not send the stuff out, or at least tell you they
hadn't sent it.

They're valid concerns, and there aren't really solutions besides trust.

Of course, I could be missing some more concerns.

- Jay Kominek <[email-masked]>