Subject: Mini-lesson: help solicited (again)

From: Nick NICHOLAS <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 20:38:35 -0700 (PDT)

Lojbanists,

your help on the lessons (now that your comments on them have trickled
off, and several of you have run through all of them) is gratefully
acknowledged. I am going to be making some corrections in them tonight,
and will presumably spend the rest of the week indexing them.

It is now increasingly clear that the lessons will not form part of any
introductory package. The issue then becomes, whether any lessons *do*
form part of the introductory package.

The package contains the venerable Diagrammed Summary:

http://www.opoudjis.net/lojbanbrochure/brochure/diagsumm.html

It's dense-ish, but has good introductory coverage.

The idea has been floating around, whether the mini-lesson should be
incorporated into the package:

http://www.lojban.org/files/brochures/minilsn.html

It is a lesson, rather than a grammar summary; and it is brief. My
opinion, however (I love how I poison these surveys aforehand) is that it
(a) overlaps almost completely in coverage with the diagrammed summary;
(b) is not noticeably lighter, easier, or chattier than it.

My inclination, then is to make the diagrammed summary the mini-lesson,
by including the exercises from the mini-lesson, and perhaps giving a few
more examples.

Your thoughts? Please read through the two pieces, and give your
impressions. I'd like to have at least some opinions before Logfest, when
we decide what to do about the lesson issue.

-- 
/||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||\
| "One must first know that traditionally a Japanese bus has carried not ||
| only a driver but one or more young girls who stand in the aisles and ||
| sell tickets, announce stops, and in general console the passengers for||
| the inadequacies and discomforts of this transient world." \
| --- Roy Andrew Miller, _The Japanese Language_, p. 251 \
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
\[email-masked]|||||||Transient Passenger||||||Nick Nicholas||||||||||
==\||||||||||||www.opoudjis.net||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||/
()() ()() ()()