Subject: Re: [lojban] Mini-lesson: help solicited (again)

From: Michal Wallace <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 00:30:26 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 23 Jul 2001, Nick NICHOLAS wrote:

> It is now increasingly clear that the lessons will not form part of any
> introductory package. The issue then becomes, whether any lessons *do*
> form part of the introductory package.

Hey Nick,

First of all, thanks for all your hard work with this! As a newbie, I
really appreciate it.

Also as a newbie, here's what I'd REALLY love an introduction to
let me say:

-----

hello! my name is michal!
I am 25 years old.
I am 6'4" tall.
I live in america and I speak english.
Someday, I would like to visit europe.
I work as a computer programmer.
I have a dog named midget and a cat named indy.
My mother's name is cathy.
My dad's name is bob.
My brother's name is steven.
My favorite color is blue.

what's your name?
how old are you?
where do you live?
do you speak english/lojban?
what languages do you speak?
what is your favorite color?
do you have any pets?

where is the bathroom? [always important! :)]
goodbye.

------

This really doesn't have to explain the grammar in any detail.
It could just cover:

basic pronunciation
coi/co'o
cmene
ko/me
numbers
colors
countries and languages
occupations
common pets
using xu and ma to make questions

The actual sentences could just be fill in the blank kind of things.
"I am __ years old" or memorized phrases. 

I still remember "Comment vous appellez-vous?".. even though I don't
really remember what "comment" or "appellez" mean exactly, or even if
I'm breaking the words down right... It doesn't really matter. I know
I can say that to a french person, and they will tell me their name.

Likewise, a small group of students could easily have a real (if
short) conversation - at least go around the room and introduce
themselves - after just this much lojban.

Later on, when they're looking at the grammar, they get hit with "oh,
so that's what it means!"

I would not even MENTION words like "gismu", "selbri", or "sumti"
until the student has had a little success with the language.

-------------

By the way, I'm MORE than happy to write this. I have the interest and
the time over the next week... But not the know-how. If anyone thinks
this would be worth having, I can write it over the next couple days,
but I'll definitely need an editor.

Cheers,

- Michal
----------------------------------------------------------------------
let me host you! http://www.sabren.com me: http://www.sabren.net
----------------------------------------------------------------------