Subject: Re: Another classic

From: Nick NICHOLAS <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 17:38:29 -0700 (PDT)

Somehow, I'd be happier with sanji la'edi'u rather than djuno la'edi'u

*Properly*, of course, di'u refers to the entire sentence, and the actual
referent here is only the embedded clause (le jai mu'i go'i!) I would
allow la'e di'u some latitude in interpretation, but if di'u doesn't mean the
entire sentence, then we've been mislead.

"second rate"? I think that's xlali as opposed to palci; maybe spofu as
well.

-- 
/||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||\
| "One must first know that traditionally a Japanese bus has carried not ||
| only a driver but one or more young girls who stand in the aisles and ||
| sell tickets, announce stops, and in general console the passengers for||
| the inadequacies and discomforts of this transient world." \
| --- Roy Andrew Miller, _The Japanese Language_, p. 251 \
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
\[email-masked]|||||||Transient Passenger||||||Nick Nicholas||||||||||
==\||||||||||||www.opoudjis.net||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||/
()() ()() ()()