Subject: Re: [lojban] Re: Another classic

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 10:52:16 EDT

In a message dated 7/25/2001 7:41:46 PM Central Daylight Time, 
[email-masked] writes:

> Somehow, I'd be happier with sanji la'edi'u rather than djuno la'edi'u
> 

Maybe. The crucial thing is that she has some basis for comparison, hence 
the hit.

<*Properly*, of course, di'u refers to the entire sentence, and the actual
referent here is only the embedded clause (le jai mu'i go'i!) I would
allow la'e di'u some latitude in interpretation, but if di'u doesn't mean the
entire sentence, then we've been mislead.>

But the referent IS the entire sentence, namely what Liza just said ({di'u} 
is relative to the speaker's point of view and this is a direct quote). 
{di'u} is also the last utternace, not sentence, so it can include any number 
of sentences coming as a block. I don't think it can include a clause 
enclosed in a sentence, though.

Thanks for all the suggestions for moderately inadequate quality -- their 
number and variety suggest that we don't have word for it yet and so I'll go 
off and fiat. The antonym of "second rate" is, oddly, "first class." 
Actually, the more I thought about it, the better I liked {claxu}.