Subject: [website] jbovlaste!

From: Jay Kominek <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 00:57:08 -0600 (MDT)

Ok. After a couple of late nights, I've got the web-based dictionary
functioning. (For some hopefully useful value of functioning.)

I've got it loaded up with the contents of the gismu, cmavo and
NORALUJV.txt wordlists. (With most of ENGDICT.GIS merged in.)

Searching is available, submission works, submission pages contain
examples along the right side, and you can just search for something to
see what values are being used.

http://www.miranda.org/~jkominek/jbovlaste/

(It will redirect, at the moment, to http://miranda.org:8081/jbovlaste/
which, through the miracle of ssh tunneling, connects you to a web server
on my personal box. Since I'm connected via a less than perfectly stable
ISDN line, it may or may not be available when you try. If its not, try
again a bit later, maybe it will be back.)

Some things left to be done:

* Actively checking usernames, so that the author of each definition is
recorded. (Trivial)
* Autogeneration of printable copies of the dictionary. (Going to require
an unpleasent amount of fiddling with TeX to get publication-quality
results autogenerated. Ugly results should appear sometime next week.)
* A modified DICT server which provides another front-end to searching the
data. (http://www.dict.org/ for more information about DICT.)
* Speeding up the searching. That will require constructing more
intelligent SQL queries.
* Mechanism for uploading a file of bulk submissions, so that people doing
lots of work don't need to be online, or use a web browser to enter
data.
* Making it look nice.
* Finding some place permenant to host it.
(My current options only provide MySQL, and I'm not going to try
screwing around with that toy SQL server any more, ever again.)

I made use of the (one) comment I received after my last call for comments
on the dictionary, and added a field for etymology of words.

Should you have any questions, comments or suggestions for the dictionary,
I want to hear them. Really. I swear. I do. Hopefully, by demonstrating
that it now _works_, I might be able to get feedback from the crowd which
requires results.

- Jay Kominek <[email-masked]>

p.s. - Hope everyone has fun at Logfest, wish I could be there. :/